Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Watchmen Wednesday - Jerusalem of Gold


The olive tree that stands in silence


Upon the hills of time

To hear the voices of the city as bells of evening chime


The Shofar sounding from the temple to call the world to prayer


The Shepherd pauses in the valley


And peace is everywhere



Jerusalem, Jerusalem
Forever young, yet forever old
My heart will sing your songs of glory

Jerusalem, Jerusalem
Oh, city with a heart of gold
My heart will sing your songs of glory
Jerusalem

"Pray for the well being of Jerusalem;
may those who love you be at peace.
May there be well being within your ramparts,
peace in yours palaces.
For the sake of my kin and friends,
I pray for your well being;
for the sake of the house of the Lord our God,
I seek your good."
(Psalm 112, JPS)


Avinu Malkenu, our Father our King,
Today we pray for the peace of Your people Israel and Your eternal city.
Even now, as katyusha rockets blast into Sderot, Ashkelon, and Ashdod from Gaza,
And there is unrest in the City of Peace,
We pray for You to defend Your people.
Please protect them and surround them as before with Your legions of angels
And show Yourself as HaTikvah, the Hope, of Israel.
I pray that Am Yisrael, the People of Israel, would see that
You alone are their defender and would cry out to You to heal the Land.
We pray for You to swiftly and soon bring Messiah to take up His throne in Your holy city,
And show all nations Your glory.

Am Yisrael Chai! The People of Israel Live!

*I must give credit to my talented husband, who took all these pictures when we were in Israel!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I recognized some of those beautiful images of the Homeland belonging to your talented photographer-husband! Who wrote the poetry?

Jen said...

It's the English translation of the song Yerushalayim Shel Zahav, Jerusalem of Gold. Yeah, I should probably find out and credit them!

Unknown said...

Todah raba