Thursday, May 8, 2008

Frugal Friday: How I "Roll"



I get this question a lot (and I mean almost everyday, from at least one reader!):

Okay, Jen, it's great that you're getting all these toothbrushes and body wash for free from CVS. But what about the basics...stuff like toilet paper???

Well, my friends, there are many ways to CVS, as I have stated many times. I don't knock the way other people "CVS" but I'd like to share how I do it, which includes stuff like baking soda, thermometers, and yes, toilet paper!

I look at the items that are generating Extra Bucks as my means of buying other things that I am really in need of. The $/$$ coupons plus manufacturer coupons tell me how much that I have to "spend" on the things I "need." (I use most of the FREE items as well, I just might not "need" them at the moment.)

Here's an example. Today I needed a thermometer. I felt very feverish, and am tired of not having one at my house. So I looked at the ECB items and what coupons I had so that I could buy one. I happened to have a $3/$15 and two 50 cent off coupons for the Colgate 360 toothbrushes. That means I have $4 to "spend" right?

Then I remembered that on the Kiss/Broadway nail products deal, I could "make" $1. So now I know that I can get a thermometer that costs around $5, without depleting myself of any ECB's.

And that is what I did. Today I spent 77 cents on a $5 thermometer, two toothbrushes, and two bottles of nail glue...and still have the same amount of ECB's.

That is why I personally don't "grow" my stash of ECB's into large amounts. I generally have between $15 and $25 ECB's at any given time, depending if I have done a CVS Advisor survey recently or if I ended up burning some on something.

Basically, I spend less than $1 every time I buy paper towels and toilet paper...something that has really made a difference in our budget! I used to spend at least $10 -$12 every time I bought the two items.

And that, my friends, is just another reason I am so thankful for CVS!

How do you CVS? Any other ideas for getting the "necessities" of life?

Go back to Biblical Womanhood for other great Frugal Friday ideas!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I get it-"ROLL"! Ha!

Katie Gregg said...

That's very much how I do it. I don't know how I would stick to my budget without CVS!

Anonymous said...

I really need to get back to shopping at CVS again. ECBs are the best!

Anonymous said...

I like this way of doing CVS; I never much cared for those amassing huge quantities of ECB's just for the "game" in it.

But I don't know how you amassed the $10 in ECB's that you obviously had in hand to do this deal and "roll" them?

Inca

Jen said...

Inca: I "amassed" the $12 or so ECB's by doing the monthly FREE deals. I hope I explained it right. I DO buy most of the things that are "free" but work my other, much-needed items in as well!

Like today...I really wanted another Febreeze noticeable (actually my hubby asked me to get one). I looked through my coupons and I found a $5 off coupon, and then I went in CVS and saw that they were on sale for $6.99! I also used a $3/$15 along with other "free" items so I got it for "free"! Ok, I payed 78 cents. ; )

Denise Sawyer said...

This is how I do it too!
Sometime I play the game if my ECB's are getting low and other times I work in items that I need... Like breakfast foods and milk!
Denise
The "Cent"sible Sawyer