Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Recent Reads

I LOVE to read...and I thought I would share some of my favorite recent reads with you!

Quick & Kosher by Jamie Geller
Ok, I know it's a cookbook.  But I really did read it...all the way through!  That should tell you something.  I'm not usually into cookbooks, but my mom and I were planning our Passover meal for next week (ahhh...it's next week!) and she told me to look through this book.  I immediately fell in love with the author, whose number one criteria for any recipe is that it must take less than 15 minutes to prep.  I actually just read it today and haven't tried any recipes yet, but I definitely plan to this week.  I'm always looking for shortcuts in the kitchen.  I'm a gourmet-food lover, but hate all the prep.  I love reading my sister's old copies of Bon Appetite magazine as my mouth waters from just looking at the titles of the recipes, but one mention of "separating eggs" or using an "immersion blender" makes me turn the page.  My sis on the other hand, will make the most delicious  (and challenging) recipes, "just for fun."  Therefore, this book is perfect for me, and any other cook who would like some traditional Jewish recipes (and lots of non-traditional ones) that are EASY to create!

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
If you are a woman, you need to read this book.  DEFINITELY.  It has been one of the most life/attitude changing books I have ever read.  I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give it away, but seriously...read this book.  Now.

Unspoken by Angela Hunt
This book is one of the most intriguing works of fiction I have ever read.  It is about a woman who works with a gorilla.  I have never fallen in love with a character as much as I fell in love with that gorilla.  I laughed, I cried, and I was encouraged.  It has a wonderful "redemptive" message, as most of the Angela Hunt novels do. 

So, what have you been reading lately?  Any recommendations?

4 comments:

Angela said...

Thank you for mentioning UNSPOKEN. I fell in love with Sema, too, and still cry during certain scenes. :-)
Blessings to you!

Angie

robyn L. said...

Ah, I haven't had much time for reading lately. Which is sad, because I LOVE to read. I come home after work every day and basically fall asleep!

robyn L. said...

P.S. I just remembered that I got the FFOZ Pesach Haggadah last week. I'm going to a couple seders, but I don't think we will be using that Haggadah, so I'm looking forward to reading through it on my own. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its looks, but this Haggadah is beautiful, so I'm excited to dig in!

His Talmidat said...

I am just a little over halfway through Passionate Housewives Desperate for God and agree, a must read! I even have some new favorite quotes from it :)