Sunday, October 5, 2008

Floating Bagels

"Who is a God like You, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."

This past week we celebrated Yom Teruah (the Biblical name for Rosh Hashanah in Leviticus 23). One of the traditions of this day is to hold a "Tashlich" service, which is based on the scripture from the prophet Micah (7:18 -19) above. In this service, the participants throw stones or bread into a body of water to remember that God does essentially the same as He forgives our sin. It's usually a very short service (at least the ones I've attended) and is usually not belabored because there is a traditionally a mouth-watering holiday dinner waiting at home.

This year something a little unique happened at our service, and I thought I would share it with my precious readers. Usually on Shabbat (Saturday) we have bagels for oneg. Tons of bagels. So on the Shabbat preceding the holiday, I decided to save some of the bags of leftover bagels for the Tashlich service. When Tuesday came around, those bagels were quite hard. So I thought they would be a good mix of rocks and/or bread!

When I got to the water, I started handing out the bagels to the people who hadn't brought anything to throw. Now, it had never entered my mind that people would throw the entire bagel into the water. But alas, that's what everyone did. When I got to the water's edge, I couldn't believe my eyes...about a dozen bagels floating on the water! I wish I could have taken a picture to share with you; it was quite a sight!

Of course, there is some spiritual application to this story. Sometimes I pray and repent of a certain sin, but I don't forgive myself. I accept God's forgiveness of my sin, but I leave it floating there on the top of the water. The sight I saw this Rosh Hashanah was one that will stay with me for some time to come. We have to remember that when God forgives us...it's over! Let it go! The Scripture says He throws into the DEPTHS of the sea. Don't allow the enemy to trick you into "floating your sins" so that you can live in guilt. God has forgiven us much, so we must do for others...including ourselves!

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society.

No comments: