Friday, November 21, 2008

Five Reasons I ♥ the Sabbath!

This is our table one Friday evening before we ushered in the Shabbat.

1. God made it for us!
After He created us, what did He do next? He created the Sabbath, by resting Himself. Also in Mark 2, Yeshua literally said that Shabbat was made for man. It is His gift to us, and we should enjoy it!
2. We need it!
Studies have shown, and it's just plain common sense, that human beings need a "day of rest" every week. If you think about it, God could have made our bodies so that we didn't need rest or sleep. He could have made us so that we were able to just go, go, go 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. BUT, He didn't. He created us so that our bodies, our souls, our minds all needed a physical, spiritual and mental break.
3. It's something to look forward to.
All week long people say, "Is it Friday yet?" I kind of laugh to myself because they don't know it, but they are longing for the Sabbath as well. The rabbis say that starting Saturday evening immediately after the Sabbath, we should begin preparing for the next one. I heard a story about a lady who after every Havdalah (conclusion service of the Sabbath) would scurry to the kitchen to begin cleaning her Sabbath candlesticks for the next week. I, myself, remember the first time our family celebrated the Shabbat. I think I was around 8 or 9, but it is such a vivid memory. Immediately after the Sabbath meal on Friday evening, my sister and I begged our parents, "Can we do this again next week?"
4. It's a holiday, only every week!
If you ever get the chance to go to my parents' house for a Shabbat dinner, I highly recommend it. My dad has this theory that the more people they have for Shabbat, the better; the more food for Shabbat, the better. So basically, it is like celebrating Thanksgiving dinner with your family and friends every Friday night. It's not only fun, but a great way to bond as a family. We eat (of course!), sing songs, talk about the Bible, and just enjoy each other. It truly is a beautiful time.
5. It's a rehearsal.
One of the words God uses in the Torah for Shabbat is mikrah, which can be translated as "a rehearsal." What are we rehearsing for? The Seventh "Day", that is, the time when Messiah returns! Remember His words in John 9, "Night is coming, when no one can work." Some rabbis have said that we are entering in to the "Friday afternoon" of God's timeline. It's time for us to work like never before, to be prepared for the "Yom Shekulo Shabbat" (the Day that is ALL Sabbath) that is coming.
Those are just a few reasons I LOVE the Sabbath. If you want to read more about how my family celebrates, go here. How about you? I'd love to hear how others enjoy God's special day!

3 comments:

NoReply said...

Rebbetzin Tamera,a wise and extraordinarily gracious most beloved sister told me one time:

'They'll be about 9 of us tonight and 16+ tomorrow. It takes a lot of food so preparation day is always hectic. Rabbi always says on Shabbat "Let your wings down and rest yourself"

I guess all that's left to be said is....Shabbat Shalom to you and yours, good Shabbos and to you my Sister, after the candles are lit remember....Let you wings down and rest yourself!

Rebbetzin Tamera


I cannot even begin to imagine having to prepare food for so many!

But all that remains to be said?

After your Shabbos candles are lit - "Let your wings down and rest yourself"

robyn L. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jenny! I hope you're doing well!

Aharon said...

The Rabbi used to ask, I have challah for Shabbos, I have fish for Shabbos, but where do I get Shabbos for Shabbos? Two things, there is Shomer Shabbos, guarding the laws of Shabbos, but then theres Oneg Shabbos, the Delight of Shabbos...as it says, if you want to experience Oneg Shabbos,you got to give Shabbos to someone else, the more you give it, the deeper you go into Oneg Shabbos, experiencing the true TASTE and DELIGHT of SHABBOS!!!