Friday, June 20, 2008

Parasha Shlach Lecha "Send for Yourself"


This week's portion is Shlach Lecha, Numbers 13:1-15:41, in which we read the story of the spies whom Moses sent out to get a good looksie at the Promised Land. My first question is, "Why would they need to spy it out?" God told them to go, so why not just go?


Honestly, I think it was a test. God gives them to us all the time. We all have had instances in our lives, situations that we have been given promises or hopes of a "personal promised land," and yet when it comes to actually getting there, we hesitate. We want to "search it out first" or "wait on the Lord." Don't get me wrong, it's not good to rush into anything. But it's when we know something is from the Lord, and we turn back or get scared that we fall into "wandering in the wilderness" just like the children of Israel.


Last night I was listening to a song from the new Bible Study resource pack I mentioned on here a few days ago, Feast. On it was a song by Sara Groves, and the lyrics tell perfectly not only what is going on in the portion, but in my own life as well. It's been a trying time, and I have been "Painting Pictures of Egypt" just like the song says. Here are some of the lyrics to this beautiful song:


I’ve been painting pictures of Egypt Leaving out what it lacked


The future seems so hard And I want to go back


But the places that used to fit me Cannot hold the things I've learned


And those roads closed off to me While my back was turned


It's true. We all do it. The future looks scary, and the past is comfortable. We begin to reminisce and think, "If only I were still (fill in the blank - young, skinny, had taken this major in college, etc...)" Last night as I listened to this song, I realized that God was whispering, "Please just trust in MY plan for you. You don't have to worry and wish for the past or your comfort zone. I have had all your days planned for you from before you were even born!"


I feel so loved. I know He does have the Promised Land, a land flowing with milk and honey, in store for each one of us. We simply need to rest and let HIM show us the way!


Shabbat Shalom!

Cartoons appearing in this post are Copyright Gospel Communications International, Inc - http://www.reverendfun.com/

1 comment:

robyn L. said...

Thank you for that reminder! Shabbat Shalom!